Copyright 2012: Axxis Law Group, PLLC | Telecommunications Attorney | All rights reserved.
1629 K Street NW, Suite 300, Washington, D.C. 20006
Telecommunications and Information Technology Law Services Offered
Areas of practice here at our small business law firm
The federal Telecommunications Act of 1996 swung open the door to competitive entry into the local exchange telecommunications market. Mr. Soriano was one of the first attorneys in the nation to represent competitive local exchange carriers in their quest to compete against the massively financed Bell Operating Companies, the incumbent local exchange carriers at that time.
As a telecommunications attorney, Mr. Soriano is focused on the following areas:
- Preparation, review, and/or negotiation of interconnection agreements with the incumbent local exchange carriers.
- Preparation, review, and/or negotiation of commercial agreements not subject to the requirements of the federal Telecommunications Act (e.g., long distance reseller agreements, asset purchase/sale, equipment leases, indefeasible rights of use or IRUs, etc.).
- Representation of competitive entrants in mandatory arbitration of interconnection agreements before the state public utilities commissions.
- Representation of competitive entrants in appeals of state public utility commissions arbitration decisions before the U.S. district courts and the U.S. courts of appeals.
- Representation of competitive entrants, long distance carriers, and broadband service providers in disputes (e.g., breach of contract, violation of state and/or federal obligations, etc.) before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), state public utilities commissions, and federal courts.
- General Regulatory and Transactional
- Provision of a full spectrum of regulatory advice regarding telecommunications regulation and transactions (including, but not limited to, privacy, universal service, intercarrier compensation, mergers and acquisitions, annual reporting requirements, law enforcement, tariffing, state certifications, transfer or assignment of assets, etc.).
- Provision of a full spectrum of regulatory advice to information service providers, Internet and Internet-enabled service providers, and broadband service providers.
INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, ECOMMERCE, AND THE INTERNET
Mr. Soriano gained an in-depth knowledge of the information technology (IT) and software development sectors through his previous jobs as an IT technologist (software development, systems analysis, and technical writing) working for some of the nation’s premier software developers and value-added network service providers prior to his legal career. This technical experience is complemented by his corporate management experience in software development-related areas, such as advertising, training, and sales and marketing of software, firmware, and network products and services. This technical and management experience, combined with Mr. Soriano’s years of legal expertise, gives us a complete and thorough understanding of the important issues and concerns facing our clients.
Our IT, software and eCommerce practice is focused on the following areas:
- Preparation, review, and/or negotiation of software licenses and other software contracts (including end user licenses, distribution contracts, assignment and work-for-hire agreements).
- Preparation, review, and/or negotiation of IT service contracts encompassing network management, technology maintenance, technical support, systems integration, website development, Internet connectivity, cloud computing, and software as a service (SaaS).
- Trademarks and Copyrights
- Preparation and prosecution of trademark applications before the Patent and Trademark Office.
- Preparation and prosecution of copyright registrations before the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Data Security, Cybersecurity, and Privacy
- Provision of a full spectrum of advice related to the protection of data and privacy (including federal COPPA, HIPAA, ECPA, FCRA, CAN-SPAM statutes and state privacy statutes)
GOVERMENT ENFORCEMENT AND INVESTIGATIONS
State and federal government entities routinely conduct investigations concerning service providers’ compliance with applicable rules and regulations. They also conduct inquiries into a multitude of areas from time to time, such as when there is a proposed merger of giant corporations.
Mr. Soriano has represented clients in enforcement and/or investigative proceedings conducted by the following governmental entities:
- The Federal Communications Commission
- The Federal Trade Commission
- The U.S. Department of Justice
- Attorneys General of several states
- State public utilities commissions
GENERAL CORPORATE AND SMALL BUSINESS
As a small business venture, we appreciate and recognize the legal needs of small and start-up businesses. For example, we fully understand the needs of application developers who wish to establish their own start-up corporation to be able to develop, test and market their custom applications. Likewise, we have the requisite skills and experience to provide general corporate advice to small and entrepreneurial companies that do not have their own in-house legal staff. Among the services that we provide include, among other things:
- Assistance with business formation, including incorporation, preparation of by-laws, annual reporting, etc.
- Preparation, review and/or negotiation of contracts, including but not limited to, employment agreements, consultancy agreements, nondisclosure agreements (NDAs), releases, noncompete agreements, partnership and joint venture agreements, sales and purchase agreements, leases, etc.).
- Assistance with copyright and trademark issues.
Mr. Soriano has been representing nonprofit clients for many years. Among the services that we provide include:
- Preparation and prosecution of 501(c)(3) tax-exempt application before the IRS.
- Preparation and prosecution of incorporation documents, including articles of incorporation, by-laws, and related documents.
- Preparation, review and/or negotiation of fiscal sponsorship agreements.
- The full spectrum of issues related to nonprofit organizations, including but not limited to, board governance, due diligence, privacy, fundraising, annual state and federal reporting, etc.
Call us today to see how your business can grow with the help of a seasoned telecommunications attorney and an experienced information technology lawyer.
Erick Soriano has represented a wide range of communications and technology companies before federal and state courts and agencies, including the Federal Communications Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, the Department of Justice, state attorneys general, and state public utilities commissions. He has represented technology companies, competitive local exchange carriers, rural incumbent telephone companies, long distance carriers, private carriers, wireless carriers, shared tenant service providers, payphone providers, conference.....
We have worked with some of the nation’s largest and premier telecommunications/communications and technology companies.
We are always here to help you establish or grow your business. Please feel free to contact us for consultation to see how we can help you achieve your business objectives through cost-effective legal representation.
Your success is our success. Let us help you get to where you want to be.